UKS is a national members’ organisation for professional artists. Your support as a member of UKS helps us to work for the professional, social and economic rights of artists through political lobbying, participation in various professional forums, and to broaden the public understanding of new, contemporary art.
UKS accepts membership applications from Norwegian artists as well as artists based in Norway. Members can help set UKS’ agenda through members’ meetings and participation at UKS’ annual general assembly, the organisation’s highest authority. All members are invited to promote their concerns and vote for representatives to the board which works to preserve artists’ interests.
As a UKS member you also have the right to apply for UKS-managed stipends and residencies, you are offered a selection of benefits (such as discounts to museums), and the opportunity to borrow technical equipment from UKS.
If you have questions concering your membership, please contact us on email@example.com or call +47 22 19 50 50.
Become a Member
All applicants must be professional artists; either Norwegian, or working mainly in Norway.
UKS accepts applications for membership throughout the year. Applications are assessed at board meetings.
Since 2018, successful applicants automatically take up membership with UKS’ umbrella organisation Norske Billedkunstnere (NBK).
Membership is automatically awarded to applicants who have attained a Master’s degree in Arts and Craft from Oslo Academy of the Arts, or in Fine Art from a Norwegian academy.
The membership fee for UKS is 750 NOK per year. From 2018, UKS membership automatically includes NBK membership – total membership fee: 2350 NOK. New members under the age of 35 get a discounted NBK fee, making the total 1625 NOK per year for the first two years.
- Discount deals at suppliers of artists’ materials and other shops all over Norway – see full list here!
- Free entrance to many art museums and institutions all over Norway – see full list here!
- Free loan of UKS’ Oslo apartment, when available
- Free loan of tools and technical equipment from UKS*. See list here!
- Free course in tax returns
- The right to apply for a travel grant to participate at the annual assembly
UKS can also help you with questions about contracts, production, sales, taxes, communication etc.
* A small fee is charged for some technical equipment to cover wear and tear.